Thursday, May 17, 2012

Introducing. . . . .Troy Lander Wilson!

This post is LONG overdue, but I finally have a moment, between the girls and Troy, packing and being back and forth between camp and our new home in Steinbach. But I am just as excited about it anyway :) We are so pleased to present our newest (and last) little one! Troy Lander Wilson Born on April 24th at 9:46pm. He weighed 7lbs 1oz and was measured as 20.5 inches long (although the public health nurse who came and saw him a week later measured him at 19.5 inches, so someone's measuring tape is off) This day he was born was the day I had picked and hoped for because our two oldest girls had gone to Brandon on Sunday with Grama and Papa Wilson to stay until the baby was born and I wanted so much for them to have a couple of days with Grama and Papa at the farm, but we wanted the baby to arrive soon enough that we would be able to be home by Friday to be a part of the board staff retreat, where members of the Red Rock board come for meetings and we really wanted to be there for our last one. So I prayed and hoped for Tuesday the 24th in the evening. God was so good to us because that is exactly what happened :) Here is a little summary of my labour story. We had headed into Steinbach on the saturday before my due date and were staying with Trevor's sister, April and her husband Terry's place until the baby arrived. We were very thankful to have been able to stay with them :) On Sunday we took our kids to the zoo and met Grama and Papa Wilson there and after supper at Mongo's (definately a favorite restaurant) Chloe and Natasha took off to the farm with Grama and Papa and Trev, Shiloh and I headed back to Steinbach to wait for our little munchkin. The morning of his birth day was an ordinary day, except that April and I planned a lot of EXTRA walking to see if that would help kick start my labour. We went into town, ran some errands (literally, lol). Then in the afternoon, Trev and I had planned to go to our friends house for supper, so Shiloh and I walked over there. Trev met us there, then went out to run some errands. I began having braxton hicks. They'd been painful for about a month already, so I just assumed that that's all this was, except they weren't stopping and started getting even more painful. So I called Trev and when he got back we headed to the hospital. At the hospital I laboured for almost 5 hours then in one big push our little man entered the world! All through my pregnancy, I suspected that he was a boy, but fully expected to have a girl, given our track record with girls :) So when I asked and the nurse told me 'It's a boy!' I was still surprised and really excited too!! The best was some reactions of family and friends to the fact that we had a boy! Ha ha!! We were so blessed to have so many visitors come to meet our little man and share in our joy. Because he was born so late in the evening, our girls did not drive in from Brandon that night. We called them, but my mother-in-law was unable to wake them up to hear the news! So, we were so excited for them to come the next day and meet their new little brother! They had made cards for him and Grama took them shopping for him. They were so excited and loved meeting him! I loved watching them meet him :) He is one lucky guy to have THREE doting older sisters! Shortly after he was born we noticed that he was pretty jittery, more so than the typical startle reflexes, so they checked his glucose levels and found them to be very low. So immediately they put us on a nursing every two hours schedule to get his levels up to normal. The problem was, he was not interested in latching or nursing. So we resorted to syringe feeding him formula. His levels yo-yo'd for two days afterwards, all the while slowly creeping upwards, which was a good thing, but still taking a LONG time to get there. His little feet were black and blue from all the poking to check his levels. Finally, his levels were up and stable long enough that we could go home on Friday, but still feeding him every two to three hours. By this time I had pumped and was able to give him my milk instead of formula, which, once that happened his levels got better much quicker and I was so thankful for that! But still had to feed him via syringe and fingers. (Where he sucks and a little hose attached to a syringe on my finger). It was a lot of work, and I continued to attempt to get him to nurse as well. Two days of being home and feeding him this way was tiring, especially when my three girls needed me as well and his feedings took so long. On the Sunday, after arriving home, a longtime friend of ours and camps was here organizing the infirmary for spring and summer. She is a nurse at the NICU at Childrens and has been for over 22 years. So I asked her if she could help Troy and I figure out this nursing thing. And she did! And he did!! And since then he's become such a pro, that I haven't had to pump or anything for him!! Now he is three weeks old and growing like crazy! He doesn't seem so small anymore and he is doing much better with focusing his eyes and listening for his sisters. He is such a laid back guy, loud noises hardly faze him. He goes to sleep best when there is a lot of noise from his sisters, lol! We have been travelling a lot, back and forth to Steinbach readying our new house for our big move on the 26th and he has done amazingly well with all the travelling as well. So that's our story, and now for the best part. . . . .pictures!!! Please forgive the blurriness of some pictures, these are ones taken with my iPhone. I left my camera in Steinbach This is me just after arriving at the hospital
Here is our little man shortly after being born and with Daddy!
Shiloh meeting him for the first time
I don't have pics of Chloe or Natasha with him on my iPhone, so when I get those I will post them too. Here is our little man just before going home. My sister bought this outfit and I love that the onsies actually fit and aren't too wide or anything! Yay for Carter's!!
Here is one of Goober holding Troy once we had gotten home
And then just today I got a picture of him at three weeks and two days old <3
Now, I can't wait to get a full family picture done of all 6 of us!!

3 comments:

Jillian Tree said...

AWW I can't wait to meet him!! So excited for you guys. Can't wait to see you & the girls hopefully sometime soon <3

Kimberly said...

Oh goodness! I don't know how you managed with syringe feeding with older children!! You are super woman!! Aiden was on an every 2 hr syringe/pumping schedule for his first two weeks and we were so dead by the end of it! Glad to hear things are going well now!
Thinking of you guys and praying you have a safe and happy move!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Jill! It will be really nice to see you too :) I hear you are possibly coming this summer? We will definitely have to arrange a date with you!
Terra-Lee