Friday, November 22, 2013

Death and New Life

"I don't want you to die Mommy. And I don't want to die." Those are the words my 3 year old said to me over lunch one day this week. My brain began rapidly trying to think of what I could say to her. My Grandpa passed away this month and it is the first time our kids have experienced a death. My Grandpa loves the Lord and when we visited with 'Oma and Opa' (what our kids call them) they had so much peace about his final journey and it was very positive experience for them. They heard how much Opa wanted to be with Jesus and that it was a good thing! We had many conversations about it in the last few months. But on this day, I saw fear of eternity in her eyes and voice and my mother-heart broke. So I repeated everything we'd talked about with our kids recently, about death and what happens when we die and how we get to choose where we go. So I asked Shiloh if she wanted to ask Jesus in her heart and she seemed unsure. So we talked a little more about it. I tried to answer some of her deep questions and we came full circle to where I asked her again if she wanted to ask Jesus in her heart. She responded Yes. Talk about JOY!!! So we prayed together and she asked Jesus to live in her heart! Almost immediately I had thoughts of doubt. "What three year old understands what she's saying? She's too young to make this kind of decision. . . . ." and others that flooded in as soon as she finished praying. Then just as quickly, it is as though Someone swept them out. And He said "She will know what following Jesus is by how YOU live." Wow. That realization gave me hope and peace and an overwhelming sense of purpose. I can show her how to spend time with God every day by doing it myself. I can show her that we all make mistakes, but Jesus forgives. I can show her how to love in a world that loves to hate. And I can pray. . . . .Oh I can pray; that she will know what her decision means, what it is to walk with God, to love Him and others, and I can pray she keeps on that path. And I will. So yes, our 3 year old has asked Jesus into her heart. And no, she doesn't understand it all quite yet. But I am going to do my best to make sure that she does. And I will keep on praying! Praise Jesus!

2 comments:

hedy said...

Terra-Lee, you've made me cry - how AWESOME

Lea Ann said...

Thanks for sharing that Terra! My kids were quite young as well when they asked Jesus into their hearts. Those were beautiful moments.